Monday, November 15, 2010

My quiet time

This morning Kevin wanted to go for a bike ride so I went with him. He rides faster and farther than I do so I suggested parking at the Mepkin Abbey in Moncks Corner, SC. The Abbey is a home for monks that has gardens open to the public and several tours. I suggested I would go there when I was done and wait for him. I took my ride then went back to the truck to go to the gardens. I parked the truck in the parking area that looks out over the water.



Something, the Holy Spirit, told me to bring a Bible, pen, paper and camera. Next I found my self on a by the river under a big oak tree reaching down to the water. (the picture is above). Not knowing what to read I prayed"Dear Lord please open my heart and mind to You so I may see what You want me to see and learn here today." 1 Corinthians 10 came to mind. Since my favorite verse is 1 Corinthians 10:13 I read the chapter. Now I am sitting here in the shade of a big oak tree with the moss hanging down and touching the river with the birds singing while I wait foe Kevin and spend time with my Lord.
I realized I have been taking my favorite verse completely out of content. In verses 1-11 Paul talks of how the Israelites were saved walked through the Red Sea saw the miracles first hand and then turned from God causing them to die in the wilderness as punishment. How many times have I see God's miracles a rainbow in the sky, a new born baby, and all the wonderful miracles of this world God has given us and turned away from Him. Thought I do not want to read my bible now because I want to watch TV. Not now I will get to it. How many times have I felt the twinge of the Spirit to talk to this person or say a prayer for that one or just give that one a hug; and I walked away. Verse 12 says if you think you are standing firm be careful for you to may fall into sin. Verse 27 says if a nonChristain invites you for dinner go and eat what they eat. But do not do anything to cause to make them stumble and move away from God.

This chapter tells me how to minister to the ungodly and that I should. it tells me Jesus dies for sinners and I am a no better I am also a sinner. I should not be proud or afraid Jesus spirit is with me always and I should follow where He leads and give Him the glory.

Dear Lord Jesus,
I will follow where you lead...in your precious and holy Name....Amen...

Just my thoughts for the day......

1 comment:

Dee said...

Those are beautiful thoughts Becky, and a beautiful spot to collect them. What a wonderful way to spend the time with the Lord.:)I can only imagine the peace and joy you felt.