Friday, September 25, 2009

27 years ago today

27 years ago today I married the man of my dreams. They relationship started 4 years earlier in a small town in the Pennsylvania mountains. I had been at my cousin's house for about a week when her family went to their camp in the mountains. I went along with them. My cousin and I soon got bored of camp (we were teenagers, what can I say). My aunt and uncle (the same ones who are causing all the commotion today with my grandmother) agreed to let us go back home. Debbie, my cousin, called her boyfriend to come and get us. His car was broke down; he asked his friend Kevin to take the trip with him. That was August 1, 1998. We had a great drive home with good conversation; they drove me home to my house and Kevin met my mom. He called me a few days later and we arranged our first date. I gave him directions to my house. He lived on one side of town I lived on the other. My directions were horrible and it took him 2 hrs to get to my house when it should have only taken 30 minutes, but he continued and made it to my house. After my mom say him in my town coming out of a small establishment where he stopped again to get directions to my house. My saw him and yelled out the window of her van "Are you Kevin?" He said "Yes!" She said "follow me!" and he did. We drove back across town to my cousin's house to hang out with them because she was grounded for some reason. Watched TV for a while and he brought me back home. We have been together ever since.
I remember our first kiss. It was about 2 weeks after the first date. We were out with friends playing a drinking game ( I did say earlier that we were teenagers right?). The game was a board game called pass out. Our turn he picked a card it said....Kiss your partner, Light up (I smoked at the time), or take a drink. We discussed what we should do for a minute or two until one of our friends said "O just shut up and kiss her!" So he did. Romantic huh?
I knew from that first date when he held my hand that he was the one for me. I just knew in my heart that he would be my husband some day....and 4 years later we said "I do" in front of our friends and family. Our wedding was simple not a big production. We decided we wanted to get married after we moved into a house we were trying to buy at the time. Talked about it, decided yes and got married two weeks later amongst rumors that I was pregnant. (The rumors were false I had my twins 1 year and 1 month later.) We got married in a local church and had a party at our house. It was terrific.
Now 27 years later I would not change a thing. We have had ups and downs over the years. I became a Christan shortly after the twins were born and Kevin became a Christan about 14 years later. We both believe God put us together and we intend to stay together. I love him more today than I could ever have imagined back then and I think I am the luckiest girl in the world to have him. God answered my prayers through him by giving me a loving and wonderful family of my own and I am thankful to the Lord for the great gift He has given me.

2 comments:

Washer Mom Val said...

Lovely. And congrats!

Dee said...

I am so happy you shared how you met, i love hearing how destiny puts true love together. I got a chuckle at your poor directions.:-)