Saturday, January 3, 2009

A New Year a New Beginning

2009 a brand new year, a brand new beginning. Every year we have a chance to look back at the passing year and begin again with a whole new year. How many times we make resolutions and break them before the end of the week. I know I have broken a few in the past. Well this year I have decided to trust God with what I need to do. Right now my diabetes medicine is not working again. My disease is out of control. For the nurses in who read this the past three weeks it has not been uncommon to check my blood sugar at the end of the day and even in the morning and find it above 200; a few times above 300. I usually have no symptoms when it is high. I get bad symptoms when it is low vertigo, nausea, headache...
I also have a complication of the disease called gastroparesis. What this does is basically my stomach does not digest food. It does either on of two things it goes right through me literally, or it just lumps in my stomach causing me to feel nauseated and sick. It is worse when the blood sugar is high.
SO I have prayed about this a lot. I have a grandson and a new one on the way I want to be around for them like my grandmother was there for me.(She is 95!) So I am putting my physical life in the Lords hands. I joined a program at work called Healthy Charleston Challenge. It is a diet, exercise and nutrition program. It starts Jan 15, so because I do not want to want any more and I am following the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet. It is basically a protein diet with green vegetables, some fats. What the first two weeks do is break the carbohydrate craving which will be a good thing for me. The plan is to start Monday. My husband is doing the South Beach thing with me too. I just want to be healthy. Diabetes is a crazy thing because it kills you slowly without a symptom. When the sugar is too high it kills your kidneys, eyes and other organs, can also lead to a stroke which runs in my family. When it is too low it messes with your head. Right now besides the one complication everything else is fine. I would like to keep it that way for a long long time, Lord willing.
So I will start every day with the Lord and pray for my diet through out the day, the challenge will add more exercise to my life so that will be good. Its a new year and a brand new life. I can do all things with Him who strengthen me.

2 comments:

Donna's Book Nook said...

I am a nurse, and I also have a son with diabetes. He struggles with compliance and keeping it under control. I applaud you for making a commitment to stay healthy in regards to your diabetes. It will take discipline but it will reap great rewards. Donna

Gina said...

Oh Becky, I am so sorry you are going through so much. I will be praying for you. I didn't know you were so close to Charleston, my daughters live in Mt. Pleasant, one works and goes to school in downtown Charleston. Please take care of yourself, your husband, your children and grandchildren need you around for a long time.