Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There is always hope

I went to a memorial service today for a 28 year old man who took his own life. He was the twin brother of my daughter's best friend's husband. Sharon could not be there for her friend because she lives on the other side of the country so she asked me to go to represent her. It was truly sad. What can you say to a family member when something like this happens? I went gave Tara the hugs she would have gotten from Sharon and silently prayed for her husband who was caught up in all the family stuff going on. He saw me and knew I was there, although I am sure Tara told him. It just made me think.....about my brother who thinks his life is not worth living at times....I cried when the preacher talked about how the family would miss him and would need support for long after the memorial service...I cried when he talked about how family is family and still love each other no matter what.....
It made me think; is there anything here on this earth that can be so bad as to want to take your own life???? I remember when I was a teenager and thought those thoughts. I never gave a thought to those who may be suffering because of my actions. I wonder if this young man thought about his family at all and the pain they will have to live with....
It made me think; there is always hope! We have a God who is screaming out to us in every way he can from the trees and the flowers to the all the wonders of nature. From all the miracles that take place daily from birth to death He is there and has been through it all so He knows what it is to feel like there is no hope and He conquered that feeling. He rose from the dead so we can have life and have it abundantly not so we could despair enough to take our own lives.....
My heart goes with this family as they walk through the whys of how this happened and the anger of knowing their loved one took his own life............I will pray for them to be able to go on...and maybe someday they will meet him again...

3 comments:

Gina said...

Job 13:15 says, "Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him." I love the fact that hope is always there and no matter what and through the most difficult He is always there.

Donna's Book Nook said...

We who know the Lord should never be without hope. I feel for this family. I know your daughter felt bad that she couldn't be there.

Dee said...

Very sad. The why? is a painful legacy to leave a family. Only God knew the hear and pain of the young man. Dee