Saturday, June 5, 2010

I am human I make mistakes but God is Greater!

Last night was a very busy night at work. I did take a few minutes to blog but the rest of the night I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I had two admissions, along with my three original patients. MY first admission was a young lady who was in a lot of pain, and needed bunches of attention. I was trying to make sure I took care of my patients and got everything done. When morning came I gave report and had a feeling I forgot something,but was soo tired and worn out I could not even think of what it was. On the ride home I realized I forgot to chart on a patient. OOPS!! In nursing we have to chart an assessment (check up) every shift it is the divine rule of nursing!! Another rule in nursing is "if it is not charted it is not done!" SO naturally I was upset by this but half way home I could do nothing and knew I was coming back in tonight so I could back time the note and chart tonight for the work I did last night. Problem is the nurse who picked up the patient told my boss I did not chart on 2 patients actually! I had thought I only missed one. I was feeling sorry for my self and beating myself up because I got an email from my boss to come see her about the issue. A little while after I was walking down the hall still beating myself up for being "stupid bad nurse who does not do her job" I heard my name being called from a patients room. It was the sister of a patient I had taken care of a few years back. She was now a patient and with the same cancer her sister had died from. She told me her son had recognized me. This son had also taken care of her sister when she was sick. I sat and talked to her a while. She was such a blessing to my heart. Just when I was feeling like I was a horrible bad nurse God let this woman tell me how much I had done for her sister and that they would always remember me and she prayed for me always! She got me up to speed on her own illness and told me how her son was doing a wonderful job of taking care of her now. Then I told her to get some rest and I would stop back in the morning to see her before I go.

A little while later, my patient the young girl with the pain from the night before called me to her room. We talked a bit, I gave her pain medications she ask for. While we were talking I noticed she had a book from Max Lucado on her bed. I told her I like his writings and she told me her mom had given her the book and told her if she read it she would give her $50. The book is Fearless. I told her in the book he refers to the bible a lot and if she wanted to I would get her a bible to look up the scripture. (This young girl is in a tough place right now. She is sick in the hospital but after she is wheel she has signed herself in to a detox for drugs and alcohol.) I looked at the nurses station where I have seen bibles before and could not find one. I carry a new testament with psalms in my purse. It is a little thing a patient gave me a few years ago. The writing is so tiny I can not read it anymore so I took it in to her. She thanked me several times in just the few minutes I stood in the room. I went in to check on her later and she was sleeping with the bible in her hands. The last time I gave her pain meds she told me she feel asleep with the bible and thanked me again. She said she could tell from how it was worn that I had it a while and it must be special to me. I told her I got it from a patient a few years ago. She thanked me again for giving her my special bible.
When I have time at night when I work I go for a walk and stop by the chapel to spend some quiet time for God. Tonight when I stopped I had some special prayers of thanks for my God who wanted me to know this is exactly where I should be right now and exactly want He wants me to be doing.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Becky you are such a special lady.:)