Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I have a dilemma and need advice.....want your opinions

I am an oncology nurse (cancer nurse) have been for 13 years and absolutely love what I do. I have not decided if I like it better in the hospital or in the clinic setting but I love taking care of cancer patients. I am especially found of head and neck cancer patients and woman's cancer patients because I know the most about them. I was working in a big cancer hospital here in Ohio but had to drive an hour and a half to get to it on most days. So I started looking more local. I saw the hospital 15 minutes from my home had a cancer unit but at the time it was not hiring so I applied for a float position. A float position would allow me to work on several floors and when a space became available on the cancer floor I could transfer. After applying for the job I got a call. When the recruiter heard of my oncology experience she told me the oncology floor was hiring and I would be wonderful for that floor because of my years of oncology experience. I was so excited! I could work with the patients I love and be close to home! Win win for me! At least I thought! SO now I have quit the job at the cancer hospital and I am sorry to say burned that bridge because we were moving into this house so I took off my last two weeks. ( I know its bad and I should know better but I did it anyway) Turns out the floor I am working on is only an oncology floor in name. It is more of a cardiac unit! I do not like cardiac nursing. I am not good at it I know how the heart works and can read a strip somewhat but I do not like it I can not retain this information. I have to take and retake and retake cardiac classes! Actually it is a med/surg floor with cardiac and a hodge podge of other thing. That what med/surg is a hodge podge of everything. 

This is not what I want to do! I am a CANCER NURSE!! I love oncology nursing!!! But I still do not know anybody here! I have found some hospice nursing jobs in the same system and have thought of talking to someone about them. 
What would you do if you were recruited for a job because of your experience only to find it is nothing like it was made out to be........and you don't like it much???

2 comments:

Dee said...

I would look else where...you will be miserable doing something you do not like.

Washer Mom Val said...

I'd be honest with the person you hired as to just what you said about the heart stuff but leave the door open if they actually ever have an opening in the cancer sector you want. I'd querry back at the old job (despite burnt bridges) and kiss $#@@ to get your old job back. :-) You need to love what you do for your health too! Then keep looking....:-) And let us know so we can pray directly for you!