Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Trying to get my Mind off the Boat and back in the real World

My husband and I went on our first cruise last week. I very highly recommend this as a vacation. It is wonderful! We had an advantage since the boat left from our home of Charleston, SC then we sailed to the Bahamas. I had never been on a cruise before so I was skeptical. I thought I would surely get sea sick and it would be awful for me. So I invested in every kind of sea sick medicine known to man. (You see I am the kind of person who gets motion sickness in movie theaters) But I did not need it. I took it the first day just because, but really was fine. The Boat was amazing and of course there are merchants on board from hair stylist to massage therapist to photographers wanting to sell you their services. There were those who had a few much to drink and made fools of them selves, but mainly it was a great experience. The boat had 12 floors! Our room was as big as a hotel room, I think; we did not have a window but that made for some good sleeping in a nice and dark room. We got up in the morning went to breakfast came back to the room to get ready for the day and our bed was made. After dinner at night came back to the room and the bed was turned down with charming towel animals waiting on our bed and chocolate. All our meals were wonderful and food was everywhere from the main dining room to a pizza sop that was open 24/7; drinks such as lemonade, ice tea, coffee, tea, and juices were free part of the package. You did have to pay for sodas and alcohol.
The first port we went to was Nassau Bahama. It was crazy mass of thousands of people in a small space; but we went snorkeling, my first time, it was totally amazing. I was in awe of how great our God is when I saw the brilliance of the sea life and I wondered how could anybody see this beauty and not believe in God! The second day we walked around Freeport Bahama it was hot as Hades; but we still managed to have fun shopping and seeing the sites. (The taxi ride nearly killed me. It was a van filled with 10 people it had windows but they did not open and the driver put the air conditioner on. Every few minutes I would get a breeze of cool air. Then the driver started coughing and I started thinking about TB. I know I am crazy I am a nurse after all.) The rest of the day was great we went shopping ate a $15.00 hamburger and french fries. Went to the beach for a little.
Then back on the boat looking at the crystal blue waters and enjoying the amenities of the ship. I will post some pictures from my home computer. ( I am supposed to be working now.....well I was just eating lunch...so I will say this is lunch hour.)
Go for it if you have the chance it is an absolute wonderful experience!!!

1 comment:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh how I'd love to do a cruise. But to be honest, if we took a cruise that embarked from Charleston, I'm not sure that I could pull myself away from the Charleston area. We love the Low Country! I can't wait to see your pictures!